Please check out attached bearing failure picture. Bearing failed within 200 Hours after replacement. 

Equipment: centrifugal pump(Flowserev CPX) for water service
Bearing: SKF 3309 C3(DE) and SKF 6309 C3(NDE)
Bearing Failed 3309 C3
Oil Lubricated Bearing VG 68
Running RPM: 900-1100  
Alignment was under range of 0.05mm
Previous bearing life was more than 10000 hours
what could be reason for this failure? Axial/Radial load, Dirt in oil, Bearing manufacturing defects ?

Brief answer is apprenticed

Note: Its double raw angular contact ball bearing with metal cage. (Cage removed while taking picture) IMG_20180818_104257Untitled

SJZ

Attachments

Photos (2)
Original Post

The bearing is indicating excessive axial loading for some reason.  It does not indicate the presence of excessive heat.  Is it possible, the lubricant was not correct or incorrect amount?  But that would indicate excessive heat.  This was not a manufacturing defect anything related to the bearing.  Could the bearing have possibly been cocked on the shaft?  I have seen that once before, where the bearing was not seated correctly against the shoulder of the journal.  Find the reason for axial loading and you will find the problem.

Johnny 5 posted:

The bearing is indicating excessive axial loading for some reason.  It does not indicate the presence of excessive heat.  Is it possible, the lubricant was not correct or incorrect amount?  But that would indicate excessive heat.  This was not a manufacturing defect anything related to the bearing.  Could the bearing have possibly been cocked on the shaft?  I have seen that once before, where the bearing was not seated correctly against the shoulder of the journal.  Find the reason for axial loading and you will find the problem.

Hey Thanks for reply.

I think your doubt about cocked bearing is absolutely right. Because there was spacer between bearing&housing in axial direction, which was out of position in small portion.(we observed it in disassembly). At that time I thought it occurred due to disassembly. Thank you for clarifying my confusion. 

Add Reply