Bill, John and Fburgos, thanks for your comments.
When I shared this question previously, I received different kinds of comments. The majority were interesting but some were conflicting.
- Some readers disliked having two questions in one question. For them, this could be confusing or too much to ask in one question. (Others liked this format).
- Some readers emphasized that the two questions are not relevant in real life. Furthermore, some mentioned that no need to know the synch speed for analysis.
- The term synchronous speed for an induction motor was a subject of debate. Some argued that this term is not valid and some suggested other terms like magnetic field frequency etc.
- The units were also a subject of argument. Some accepted rpm, cpm, rps and Hz for speed and frequency. Some did not agree.
- Difficulty. A very wide range of comments was received, from a pre-requesit to Cat I to suitable to Cat III.
Perhaps, one of the reasons for these discrepancies is that the responders had different levels of formal training/education on vibration analysis and they have varying exposure to the ISO requirements for Cat I.
Regards- Ali M. Al-Shurafa